Design Joburg 2022 – The Return: 19-22 May 2022
South Africa’s edgiest design and décor show, Design Joburg 2022 in its most Afropolitan city, is back!
Design Joburg is an undoubted highlight on the design and décor calendar and with good reason. Now in its fourth year, this full-scale show is a polished showcase of where interiors and design, fashion, architecture and sustainable design practices are in South Africa. The show also highlights where new talents are putting their energy, and what the future holds for design.
Presented by Sanlam Private Wealth, driven by Lexus and in association with Hendrick’s Gin, The Glendronach and South African Tourism, Design Joburg is on from 19 to 21 May 2022 at the Sandton Convention Centre. While Design Joburg Collective (which will include industry walk-arounds, trend talks and networking events) kicks off on May 17. This fringe event will be live in nearby décor and design districts Kramerville and 44 Stanley.
Pulling out all the stops at Design Joburg 2022
The Creative Panel driving this year’s Collaborations and Highlights include some of the city’s finest creative minds. Some of which include;
- Firstly, award-winning contemporary multimedia visual artist and furniture designer Trevor Stuurman
- Secondly, interiors maven, furniture designer and founder of Cocoon Lifestyle Bilala Mabuza
- Ideas synthesiser Sir Abner Makgamatha, founder of creative agency Application Form, Art Director for much-lauded fashion brand David Tlale and Creative Director for Abryanz Style and Fashion Awards (Uganda)
- Master of Afrofuturism Manthe Ribane, founder and Creative Director for NATURA CO-LAB & Editor at Large for House & Leisure
All of these Creatives have pooled their resources to create a deeply immersive experience that embraces technology and tech innovations, sustainable design practices and explorations, new developments and material usage and a post-pandemic response to the world as we know it.
This is as much a cerebral as a social event. Design Joburg is an opportunity to grab a glass of bubbly, and mingle with local talents & fellow cognoscenti. Yet, most importantly, you get up-close and personal with some of the most exciting and stimulating creative endeavours transpiring currently.
Meet the Makers
Makers range from local industrial and furniture designers to fabric and furnishings experts, and leading audiovisual authorities. This also includes the country’s most exciting ceramicists and interior design studios, architecture doyens and sustainability innovators. Design Joburg ticks all the boxes as far as décor and design in Southern Africa go.
“Design Joburg is also an opportunity to meet the people making waves in the broader creative arena; including architecture, decor, design and fashion and to experience their work while tapping into their insights first-hand. Its return marks real conversations on the local and global design landscape and how these continue to shape the future of design and its evolving role in the human psyche,” says Bilala.
Bilala further explains that this year Design Joburg also plays host to an evolved iteration of the show’s CoLabs concept. Local designers work together to create evocative and boundary-pushing room sets. The event has also turned an intentional lens on upcoming talent, many of whom are mentored by established designers.
The three-day event is an opportunity to enjoy an intense design download at your leisure. Coordinate your visits with client and friends meet-and-greets and dip in and out to the events that appeal. Iconic Johannesburg architectural and interior projects will be open to event-goers with a series of designer-led walk-arounds. While insightful talks span fashion, current design trends, and the relevance of sustainability in the 21st century. Also, understanding design in the Metaverse will provide intense food for thought for industry members and the public alike. This year, software developments in the interior, architecture, and design worlds will also be a strong focus. Guests can expect to be brought up to speed with a host of cutting-edge tech-focused industry developments.
6 Must-see’s & Do’s
- The Design Theatre will be a space to pause and catch up on fascinating and eye-opening design-focused talks from local shapeshifters and commenters. International mavens will also be broadcast via the Design London platform. Cocoon Lifestyle’s Bilala Mabuza will lead the curation of this engagement space.
- Headline sponsor Sanlam Private Wealth presents a showcase of brand new work by leading female creatives Mpho Vackier from The Urbanative, Imiso Ceramics’ Zizi Poswa and Candice Lawrence from Modern Gesture.
- The Architects’ Gallery showcases some of the country’s most exemplary architectural projects. This year, however, the introduction of a 3-dimensional immersive element will bring each of the buildings in the gallery to life.
- Always a hit with visitors, the Hendrick’s Gin Bar returns using the iconic gin’s signature blend of 11 botanicals as its design cue.
- Once Again, the show’s restaurant will be a focal point and an immersive space where design, architecture and food converge.
- The best part of a show with a design bent is the opportunity to shop. The Retail Corridor is a dedicated space where visitors can take a slew of locally designed lust-haves home with them – from cushions to ceramics and of course a phone full of images to mull over for further at-home inspiration.
Fringe Factor – Design Joburg 2022
An innovation from 2021, the Design Joburg Collective is a must-do for the local décor world’s decision-makers and devotees alike. A collection of décor-focused events hosted as a ‘fringe’ to the show, Collective returns to Kramerville and 44 Stanley. The Collective includes Lexus drivebys and on-foot walk-arounds, industry gatherings and brand launches, studio showcases, trend talks, workshops and importantly, a chance for lovers of décor and design to gather again and immerse themselves in the world they love.
“As the world looks to the African continent for creative inspiration, Design Joburg 2022 is set to redefine collaboration as a design tool for progressive thinking as Africa’s leading design event, bringing together the very best of ‘Glocal’ creative trailblazers and innovators,” adds Sir Abner. “Design leaders and followers alike are assured of a cutting edge experience where they will be fed on a multitude of levels – leaving them inspired and certainly proud to be witness to some of the best design innovators and innovations of our times.”
For more information and ticket sales visit Design Joburg. For regular updates follow @designjoburg on Instagram, Facebook and Twitter – hashtag #DesignJoburg22