Healthy bedtime rituals help you sleep better and wake up ready to tackle the tasks of the day – while looking great.
For many of us, the idea of beauty sleep might seem like an urban legend. We live in the digital age of being ‘always on’ and have a lot on our minds, so it can be quite difficult to switch off and unwind before bed. Researchers have found that getting eight hours of zzz’s will not only improve our well-being but also our appearance.
A good nights’ sleep is vitally important for your health. We are sleeping less and when we do sleep, we aren’t sleeping well. You need sleep in order to perform at your best and be your most creative self. A lack of sleep can increase depression and make you ill as it weakens your immune system. Adequate sleep is part of a healthy lifestyle.
Here are some healthy, bedtime rituals that you can try out:
• Have a hot bath with some Epsom salts sprinkled in the water to de-stress, before going to bed.
• A warm mug of chamomile tea is always soothing.
• Comfortable PJ’s, whether you prefer silk or cotton, treat yourself.
• Look at investing in a memory pillow, they help keep your spine aligned.
• Your skin is able to absorb active ingredients at night, while it recovers. This is a great time to use a night mask or serum with active enzymes and ingredients in it, which is also an unwinding experience that can become part of your night-time ritual.
A few tips that will help you sleep better:
• Turn off all electronics and dim the lights 30 minutes before bedtime.
• Make your room as dark as possible and slightly cool at bedtime.
• Avoid alcohol, sugar and caffeine before going to bed.
• Breathe deeply a few times before you lie down as this action is known to calm and relax the body.
• In the morning, seek out bright light to help regulate your biological clock.
Written by Tamryn Sher
Images: Shutterstock and Unsplash